Farmers and Growers
- Why do farmers and growers need new plant varieties?
- Can a farmer sell seed of a protected variety without the authorization of the breeder?
- Can a farmer replant seed of a protected variety without the authorization of the breeder?
- What is the effect of plant variety protection on varieties that are not protected (e.g. traditional varieties, landraces, etc.)?
- How do I know if a variety is protected?
- Is it possible for subsistence farmers to exchange propagating material of protected varieties against other vital goods within the local community?
- Under the UPOV system, breeders decide the conditions and limitations under which they authorize the exploitation of their protected varieties. Can farmers, for instance, be allowed to exchange seeds of protected varieties freely within the local community?